Hi all,
I lived with Uncle Ralph and Auntie Beth for a bit while I was running away
from the prospects of getting married. Shortly after I arrived in Cleveland,
I sat down to a scrumptious meal that Aunt Beth had oh-so lovingly prepared.
After a prayer over the food, Uncle Ralph took a juicy morsel of roast beef
off his plate and threw it on the floor.
Kinda weird, I'm thinking, but not too suprising given the fact that he's a
Burton like my own momma. I was polite and only raised my eyebrows a bit.
Eyebrows up a notch, and maybe a nervous cough to go with it, when he bent
over and loaded the meat back onto his fork. Then he put it into his mouth,
proudly proclaiming that his wife kept such a clean house he could eat off
the floor.
I don't remember if Aunt Beth was beaming proudly, rolling her eyes or
hiding her head.
Thank you, Aunt Beth, for ribbing me more over the prolonged phone calls
with Celeste and not so much over the red boxer shorts with glow-in-the-dark
lips all over them that Celeste sent as a gag. I really shouldn't have
opened the package containing undies like that in front of Wynn. And thanks
to you, too, Uncle Ralph for reminding me that life is full of simple
pleasures if you know where to look, even if it's in a bowl containing
fermenting tomato seeds or in a floral oil painting you got for "Only
$13.95!"
Happy Anniversary!
Kevn Lambson (via Claire, Ralph's sister)
No comments:
Post a Comment